Let’s take a look at a recent study to understand testosterone’s potential therapeutic role as a treatment for obese men.
In this article:
- A Worldwide Epidemic Called Obesity
- Distribution of Fat
- The Role of Testosterone in Counteracting Obesity
Can Testosterone Therapy Save Obese Men?
A Worldwide Epidemic Called Obesity
Obesity places a profound impact on health, resulting in reduced quality of life and contributing to various pathologies such as:
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM)
- Testosterone Deficiency (Hypogonadism) [TD]
Obesity patients will typically exhibit several characteristics of MetS with a high body mass index (BMI), increased waist circumference (WC), and waist-to-hip ratio (WHR).
The balance between food intake and energy utilization determines the incidence of obesity. Unfortunately, a host of metabolic and endocrine factors regulating this complex homeostasis are still poorly understood.
Distribution of Fat
In men, fat accumulation can occur in the abdominal regions, including subcutaneous and intra-abdominal (or visceral fat) depots. A large visceral fat depot may predict:
- The development of T2DM
- A fat depot is an area of the body that stores large quantities of fat.
- Visceral fat is fat that wraps around the abdominal regions of the body. We can’t always feel or see visceral fat – some people have a pretty flat tummy and still have visceral fat. TOFI (thin outside fat inside) is a term referring to visceral fat.
The Role of Testosterone in Counteracting Obesity
A study by Prof. Farid Saad aimed to understand testosterone’s potential therapeutic role in counteracting obesity and its complications.
Results show that testosterone levels that are lower than normal can increase visceral fat accumulation in particular.
Findings show that testosterone treatment reverses fat accumulation, resulting in:
- Improved insulin sensitivity
- Reduction of body fat
- Significant improvement in biochemical profiles of cardiovascular risk
Clinically speaking, testosterone therapy can be an effective treatment for obese men. Also, this therapy can help reduce fatigue, improve mood, energy, and eventually motivate men to adhere to diet and exercise designed to combat obesity.
Read the original publication here.
Consider SAFE and EFFECTIVE Testosterone Therapy? Contact Yunique Medical and receive your FREE consultation session at our four offices in Florida, Ocala, Fruitland Park, and Daytona. 2020 is DONE. Let’s SLAY 2021!